04 February 2009

what's the point anymore?

I just had a really down moment on my way to campus. I was driving along, thinking about Astronomy class that I have in about an hour, and contemplating just skipping the thing. We have a homework assignment due, yes, but I am pretty sure that even if I skipped every homework assignment I would still be able to get about a 95% because I usually test well. My logic for skipping class, even as I was already at campus and on my way to a favorable parking location, was that I could just stay at the library until I could keep my eyes open no longer, studying for another class. If I go to Astronomy, I will be exhausted (more than I already am) and hungry after, and most certainly go home where the atmosphere is much more comfortable. But nothing ever gets done in my apartment anymore. So why not spend my last window of productivity for the day devoted to a class that I probably need to spend more time in? But what about Astronomy? It's my favorite class. All of these possibilities were playing out in my head until I realized that I'm putting a lot of thought into only a three hour time frame. Just like a satellite moving around a planetary body (painfully cheesy analogizing, sorry), my life revolves around these two to three hour sessions twice a week for each class. And for what? I'm learning, sure. But it's a big let-down. Classes are great, but I prepare for them and work for them, and then I go, and it's over, and I repeat the process about twenty times. This is fine with me, but once I've allowed myself to skip one class I've somehow escaped the orbit around my classes and it's damaged my outlook for the next six weeks, because rooting my schedule around class doesn't seem as necessary anymore. It just becomes tedious and depressing. So I ask myself, what else is there to life (aside from page-ing) when I'm in college? And that, I'm sorry to say, is a pretty sad train of thought. The routine becomes less and less captivating, and more and more...empty. I'm just so tired. I usually stay positive, and have become quite good at reassuring myself, but today I'm just a bit melancholy and lost. I'm sure it's probably just the fatigue getting to me. This is the point when I let out a nice, long groan (mentally, though, I'm in the library) and get on with it.

0 comments:

 

EVERYTHING IS MUTED © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness