09 June 2008

i love my job. i hate my job.

In a majoritarian system, politicians inevitably play the game of deflection. They never seem to answer a straightforward question, because it is impossible to magically agree with everyone. Thus, my job is born. Hundreds upon hundreds of deflections of the plain and simple truth. My worst day on the job? When someone is smart enough to ask the question "Do you agree or disagree with ___?" without inserting his or her own opinion. Because then I can't spin it. I enjoy most when people want to know things that I don't have to be vague about. I feel like I'm actually helping and not just spending hours writing responses with many words and little meaning. Other times I get angry at the people who write us. Today, woman: "My grandson attends a charter school. Since the charter schools do not get calamity (snow, etc.) days, my grandson had to attend school 6 days longer than the public school children. This is terrible! He recognized the double standard immediately! How can I possibly explain this injustice to him? I've written letters to everyone!" She wrote the letter last week. Her grandson will be done with the school year in...drumroll...three days. Oh! The injustice! We should call the NAACP! Where are the human rights advocates? And so on. What a waste of time. Switching to a more positive subject, I'd like to say that I'm becoming quite a darts player. At least compared to what I was capable of last week. I'm also reading Deception Point and it's fantastic (aliens!). Also, I finally got my grades for the quarter and I'm pleased (oh yeah). I must say that the euphoria of summer and the immense lightness that occured after my last final has kind of disappeared. Now it seems that all is business as usual (boo). Thank goodness that two of my classes are first term. I am somewhat excited, though, about classes. Even though it seems it will be a hot summer, last year it was wonderfully empty on campus. And I was smart enough to drop tennis before I contracted skin cancer at the outdoor courts. I heard a horrible story today (sizzle! radiation! crisp! rot!) about tanning beds that I am reluctant to share here due to its grotesque nature. Needless to say, I am even less inclined to use one than I was before. Now I feel I must clean my ever-dirty apartment and enjoy the fact that several people have been moving out of the apartment complex everyday. This is a good sign for summer. Peace and quiet!

0 comments:

 

EVERYTHING IS MUTED © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness