01 February 2010

going green and some thoughts on deja vu

One of my favorite authors of all time, thanks to preludetoapparition is John Green.  I received Looking for Alaska as a gift some years ago, and it remains one of my all-time favorites.  That said, it is a mystery as to why I haven't read John Green's other books yet.  I think it has been part forgetfulness (there are a lot of books out there!) and partly distractedness (I am in college).

Anyway, I keep having this weird deja vu lately.  The unfortunate thing is that I can't think of a good example for you - it's kind of like when you wake up from a really freaky dream and you're kind of laying there and wondering what it all means.  Five minutes later you are in the bathroom brushing your teeth and you've forgotten the whole thing, but you know that it was crazy.  That's how it is with my deja vu.  It is usually something like a number.  For instance, before I started writing about Groundhog Day (film, 1993) the other night, I discovered a short film with the same premise as Groundhog Day.  The film is called 12:10pm and I found the film at exactly 12:10am.  This is a tidy coincidence of numbers.

Ah, but here's the rub:  My ultimate deja vu-ey experience of the week was when I happened upon John Green's online network of Nerdfighters.  The concept is too difficult to explain all at once, and my finger hurts so I don't want to type for too long.  Basically, I discovered the network before I realized that it was John Green who made it.  I only realized it when I saw the link to his personal website, which I had visited a couple of years ago.  Weirder still, I decided to join the Nerdfighters network as a means of procrastination, and discovered that I had already created an account???  That's kind of creepy.  It seems that a different network that I joined last year concerning a totally different topic uses the same service as Nerdfighters, and therefore, I have been a Nerdfighter (sort of) for at least a year without really knowing it.

It's just all very overwhelming.

It gets better:  In case you didn't already think me insane with all of this talk of "Nerdfighters," I will add that when I was watching the previously mentioned short film 12:10pm the other night, there was a link to an episode of this show called Merlin that the BBC produced last year or something.  I thought it sounded awful, and it really was awful, but I clicked on the link to the Youtube video just to be sure.  While I was appreciating how incredibly bad Merlin is, I then scrolled through the other videos that the user had uploaded (in addition to every single episode of Merlin ever made).  One of the videos was titled . . . wait for it . . . "Why I am a Nerdfighter."

I was so freaked out.  What is going on with all of these Nerdfighters?  Where are they coming from?  Why is John Green a Nerdfighter?  Are these people fighting off the nerds, or are they embracing nerd-like existence?  And how could there possibly be any connection between Groundhog Day and Nerdfighters?  And Merlin, for that matter?

We report, you decide.

0 comments:

 

EVERYTHING IS MUTED © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness