30 March 2009

striving for excellence?

I think my favorite part of the quarter has got to be the syllabus day.  What other day can you sit in a classroom listening to someone talk to you about how to get a good grade in his class.  I love it when this person suddenly floats into the clouds, pontificating on the merits of "striving for excellence" in his class, of "succeeding" in his class, of "giving it every ounce of effort."
Is this a joke?
Please.  Striving for excellence?  Didn't these words mean something once?  Didn't they apply to serving the community, or finishing a project that you love?  Or learning something new?  Now, "striving for excellence" has been reduced to earning points on quizes and papers.  I can hardly contain myself.  The classroom is not the whole world.  And I'm not even bitter about any of it.  Today, sitting in my ridiculous class, I realized that I outgrew the purpose of undergraduate education long ago, and I feel good about that.  I think almost everyone I know has outgrown it, and we're glad to be done wasting our time.
On a lighter note, my schedule changed about five times this morning.  Now I think it's set.

0 comments:

 

EVERYTHING IS MUTED © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness