03 September 2008

an interesting experience

I've started using this program on my computer called Yahoo Widgets. If you've never heard of this, don't worry, not many have. I found it one day a thousand years ago and it was a great way to spend several hours avoiding doing anything important. Widgets is basically this hub for other smaller programs to put on your computer, mostly from third-party program creators. For instance, if your are looking for a weather updater that you can keep on your laptop, you just search for one and you'll find several different programs that all allow you to have some sort of weather display available on your computer desktop. The point of explaining the widgets is this: I have a fantastic program made by someone who clearly appreciates the art of waking up as much as I do. Being far from a morning person, I have devised many clever ways to get myself out of bed everyday. Mostly, I continue to add alarms to my morning regimen. Strategically. For instance, I have until recently used three alarms. One is my stereo, which starts playing soft classical music around 5:30 (yes). I find that at the right volume, it does not wake me up completely, but a part of me hears it somewhat and subconsciously registers that I need to begin weaning myself from my comfortable dreamy state. At about 5:50 I have my phone alarm (a very obnoxious, monophonic, techno beat) play at a sufficient volume annoying enough to make me walk across the room to put in on snooze and subsequently get back in bed. Once I've snoozed my phone, I've started to consciously notice the stereo music, which stimulates brain activity. If I'm lucid enough, I'll program the timer on the microwave to beep in 15 minutes. This way, my actual alarm beeps somewhat like a fire alarm at 6 o'clock, and five minutes after I've snoozed that, my phone alarm has gone off again, and the microwave alarm has gone off as well. I cannot say with certainty how many times I will snooze various alarms on any particular day, but if anyone ever made a video of me completing this ritual, I'm sure it would become a youtube sensation. Why do I do this? Why don't I just set one alarm for 6:30 and be done with it? Sometimes I do. It's always a gamble as to whether I will actually follow through with any morning schedule, but I somehow always miraculously manage to get to work at the same time every day. Back to the widgets. I have a widget that serves as a computer alarm clock, harnessing my itunes library. As of yesterday, this has become another fixture to the morning routine, set to play something peppy about ten minutes after my stereo plays sweeping Chopin selections. I recently purchased a song called "Sunny Sunday" and chose it as the first song in a playlist for waking up, but this was a mistake. I once read about those people who have sensory issues where their brains associate letters or words with color, or sounds with color, or musical tones with numbers, etc. It's very interesting. There are even some people who hear words and then sense particular tastes; often the words they associate with a taste do not have anything to do with that taste, either. As fascinating as these people's brains are, I'm sure this would be quite difficult and annoying at times. The morning that I used Sunny Sunday as my wakeup song, it started playing and was actually quite disturbing, despite the fact that I love this song. It is mostly vocal and acoustic guitar, but there are some other synthesizer parts to it, and when it was playing, I was half asleep and for some reason the music was so grating, and the sounds the synthesizer makes sounded like twigs. Yes. The music sounded like twigs. I'm not really sure how to explain this, but every time this one tonal sequence played, it sounded like twigs. Twigs don't sound like anything, I realize this. It was horrible, and I promptly turned off the music and went back to bed. But later, I realized that people with sensory confusion must be as annoyed as I was with Sunny Sunday. Because I was convinced that every time I listened to it I would just hear and see twigs and other wood products. The good news is that I've since listened to Sunny Sunday and I still like it, and (perhaps more importantly) I didn't hear or see twigs and branch like things. I think tomorrow morning I'll just wake up to a talk radio show.

0 comments:

 

EVERYTHING IS MUTED © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness